Thursday

Cabin Fever in Winnipeg

Coming from the sprawling and icy prairies, I've always had a particular affinity for Northrop Frye's analysis of the Canadian psyche, or as he named it, 'the garrison mentality.' Frye's whole thing depended on his chilling description of our geography- flat, open landscapes and a frightening climate. This was some sixties madness (he wrote it in '65), but has stuck ever since with everyone from Atwood to Coupland elaborating on it. And it's true, no? There's this pervasive boredom felt in the prairies, which I'll argue is extra-Canadiana... but it has a silver-lining. A symptom of this boredom is this incredible cultural and artsy side. Winnipeg, I think, is like a secret fort of imagination.

Anyways- this was an all-too-wordy introduction to my post on Platform Gallery's current exhibition, 'Cabin Fever.' Curated by JJ Kegan McFadden, the statement reads: The prairies offer a paradox of being isolated by its so-called land-locked geography and climate of extremes, yet its denizens are recognized for their creative productivity. What is it about being isolated that stirs creativity among us? Further into the statement, my favourite little section suggests that the exhibited artists offer suggestions, even exit strategies to deal with this stir-craziness. I love that, exit strategies.

I know participating photographer Zoe Jaremus here in Toronto (the gallery I work for reps her), and I knew I loved her Strange & Awkward Conversations pieces immediately (above). It's the exit strategies in it. The females display this domestic ennui, this absolute fucking boredom and are slumped over and defeated in their daily, banal duties.

Seriously, those in Wpg should see this show, and tell me about it. It also includes Terence Koh and Jon Sasaki. You can read the show concept on the iCi website too: http://ici-exhibitions.org/index.php/ci/twocp/cabin_fever - so Winnipeg.

Ps: Telling that this show and the FF Canadian show shared some thematic parallels...

2 comments:

  1. Great critique. Its so true that when people speak of Winnipeg and art, their creativity is oft-attributed to the 'isolation factor'. Hell, I curated a show called 'Isolating Inspiration: New work by 13 young Winnipeg artists'.
    Is it true though? I suppose I performed my own 'exit strategy' as I am now living in Haliwood....

    ReplyDelete